We’re excited to announce that our November webinar will occur on Thursday
, December 6th
at 1:00 pm GMT
and will offer our network with an in-depth overview of the US's S.877A Expatriation (Exit) Tax.
As many of you know, the US imposes onerous and punitive tax and reporting requirements on American citizens living abroad. These requirements include citizenship-based taxation, FBAR, FATCA, PFIC and now the transition tax and GILTI. If you break it down, the regulatory weight of the whole far exceeds the sum of the individual parts.
To avoid these requirements, many Americans abroad are constantly told to give up their US citizenship. However, it's not as easy as that since the US imposes more punitive exit taxes than any other country in the world on those who renounce their citizenship.
We invite you to sign up for the webinar below and learn all about the US’s exit tax and how to best go about dealing with this difficult requirement.
BOOK YOUR SPOT
Don't forget that as a Taxlinked member you can receive one (1) CPD credit for participating in this webinar.
Submit Your Exit Tax Questions
During this webinar, our panelist will talk to us about how the Exit Tax works and will do his best to answer the series of questions listed below:
- Which people renouncing their US citizenship are subject to the Exit Tax?
- What exactly is a "covered expatriate" and how can you avoid becoming one?
- Is the Exit Tax really a collection of four separate taxes? How do these separate taxes work?
- Why is the Exit Tax particularly confiscatory when applied to non-US pensions?
- What are the exact requirements that must be met in order for those renouncing US citizenship to effectively log out of the US tax system?
- How does the US punish future beneficiaries if they receive gifts or bequests from people renouncing their US citizenship?
- And plenty more!
Our Expert on the US Exit Tax
John Richardson, Lawyer, Citizenship Solutions, Toronto, Canada
John Richardson is a Toronto, Canada based lawyer. He provides advice and assistance for US citizens and Green card holders who do not reside in the United States. He specializes in US citizenship relinquishment, Green Card expatriation and assisting US persons with their compliance obligations. You can contact him on his website www.citizenshipsolutions.ca